Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 1 Devotion

Scripture:  Deuteronomy 8:3: He humbled you by letting you hunger, then by feeding you with manna, with which neither you nor your ancestors were acquainted, in order to make you understand that one does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

Reflection:  As you plan your meals for the upcoming week, consider how much you take for granted at your dinner table.
·         How does it make you feel if you buy generic store brand cereal or day old bread?
·         Do we have any personal pride or prejudice to consider when we make our choices at the grocery store?
·         Prayerfully consider not only hunger, but the social impact of eating and sharing a meal.


May this week of limiting your food choices bring your mind to the bounty that God provides to you and the challenges that many of our brothers and sisters in the community face every day.


One Hopewell participant's groceries for the week - $5/person/day:

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I planned well. I have too much protein, apples are my only fruit (easier to pack for work) and while I won't go hungry or thirsty, I am somewhat surprised that it is my limited beverages that I miss. I have plenty of tap water for my water bottle, but I did not realize how much juice, diet Pepsi and bottled water I am used to. I thought I would miss something else and that it would take a few days to miss it. Day One is showing me a genuine understanding of what I Need versus what I Want.

    ReplyDelete